Thursday, January 3, 2008

What's good for a sore throat?

Sorry for not blogging of late. After returning to Durham from spending Christmas with my family, I have succumbed to strep throat.

I've been using it as an opportunity to eat Hagen Dazs. I found a great flavor I've never tried before: Sticky Toffee Pudding! It is vanilla ice cream with brown sugar cake and toffee swirls. MMMM.

I have also been eating soup but I am too tired to fix it myself so I've been running down to Thai Cafe for tom yum. The broth is not only tasty but it feels good on my throat. Unfortunately one symptom of strep, besides sore throat, is lose of appetite. I wasn't hungry enough to eat all of the shrimp in the soup, but my cats really enjoyed it as a treat!

Hopefully I will feel like cooking and eating again soon.

8 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Get well soon!

Ginny said...

Popsicles do wonders for strep throat. And a lot of chloraseptic. Strep throat is evil.

Anonymous said...

I'm not one to take antibiotics at the drop of a hat, but if you really do have strep (ie diagnosed with a lab test) you really need to take a full course of penicillin. It's a potentially nasty bacterium if left untreated. I used to think I could beat it, but I tried once... no dice.

K said...

Yeah, got the lab test. Taking some penicillin. YUCK! Thx, Toby!

Anonymous said...

Lots of people often look to antibiotics as a solution for far too many issues, it seems. But there are times when taking them is the best and safest solution. In the case of strep throat, yup, that's one of them.

Proper hydration, along with electrolyte balancing liquid consumption, helps to maintain healthy and constant cleansing of tissue, too. Made a difference for me.

Good luck and get well soon!

Anonymous said...

i think i may have strep throat been feeling rough since wednesday. Tonsils big with white pus on them , fever,headache, need i say more. What i want to know is if prescribed penicillin how soon after taking first dose will i start to see any results?

K said...

Go to the dr right away to see if it is strep. Yes, I felt dramatically better after 24 hrs of penicillin. I try to avoid antibiotics but sometimes it is necessary.

Anonymous said...

its that time of year when everybody gets sick and weak because of the weather.