Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Water

My friend Joe reports about a certain local restaurant that planning to go to all disposable utensils by the end of the week in order to save water. I find disposable utensils objectionable unless they are biodegradable, but I'd rather a restaurant use disposable than have to close completely which is what may happen if we run out of water.

We have 53 days of easily accessible water left in Lake Michie. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do if one day no water comes out of the tap. Imagine the impact to how we live! Daily life would change dramatically. Lot's of businesses would have to shut down.

The most important thing is to have water to drink, but just think of how much water you'd need at minimum to get by for a day. Do you know how much water you could get by on? Bare minimum for living, I'd need two gallons for drinking, washing hands/face/teeth, flushing, washing a couple of dishes and my morning cup of coffee. Even if I go to biodegradable utensils and plates, there will still be a need to wash up some pots and pans. Maybe 2 gallons isn't enough. Who knows.

Imagine the pandemonium if 210,000 people in Durham don't have water coming out of their faucets. Does standing in line w/ a bucket or jug to get water at a FEMA truck sound fun or what?

I might just have to get out of Dodge. I'll pack the cats and computer into the car and go live at the coast for a while.

You need a plan B just in case this happens. You might also start praying for a week of nonstop rain.

3 comments:

skvidal said...

I don't mean to be cynical but take the above and try it with 'gas and oil'. Drought, at least so far, is reasonably localized to a region or an area at a time. Our global supply of oil is dwindling at a surprisingly fast rate. Once it is gone, it's gone. No more will precipitate from the clouds. We can't desalinate oil to get more.

Conservation isn't just about one thing during an acute time of need.

If you're worried about water and other natural resources for the future then you'll have to change a lot of habits that you talk about on your blog.

Stop eating meat, stop consuming things outside of a relatively local area except for special occasions and specialty products. Get used to shortages. B/c it is not going to get better.

K said...

Seth, I hope you drive a Prius.

You really don't know much about "my habits" so kindly refrain from drawing conclusions.

Everyone should do their part. You don't have to change absolutely everything to make a difference. Just do something! I conserve water, walk instead of drive when possible, buy local when possible, drive a small car with decent gas mileage and minimize use of electricity in my home. I continue to eat meat and buy non-local food items like flour, sugar, rice, nuts, coffee, chocolate, wine, etc.

skvidal said...

Actually I ride a bike. However, if you're worried about drought, climate change and resource depletion in general, then stop eating meat. Livestock farming is a massive source of carbon dioxide and methane, two of the most serious greenhouse-causing gases.