Monday, March 24, 2008

Comfort food: spaghetti and meat sauce

I fixed spaghetti and meat sauce and garlic bread for dinner over the weekend. I was in need of comfort food. I made a yummy meat sauce that is very easy. You could use 1/2 lb of ground veal and 1/2 lb of ground sirloin or maybe pork or a combination of the three. It might be good with some dried basil in the sauce too.

Meat sauce:

olive oil
1 1lb ground sirloin
1/4 lb pancetta chopped
1/2lb sweet Italian sausage
1/2lb hot Italian sausage
8 cloves of garlic
1/2t or so of dried oregano
1 can of crushed tomatoes
2 chopped onions
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 c. red wine
1 to 2 c. beef stock
1/2c. flat leaf parsley chopped
Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Brown meats in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrot to skillet. If there is not enough fat to cook the veggies, add a bit of olive oil. Cook until the veggies are softened. Add wine to deglaze pan and cook until alcohol burns off (a few minutes). Add tomatoes. Add 1 c. stock. Cook for 15 minutes and add more stock if it needed. Remove from heat. Add parsley and season to taste. Serve over pasta and with Parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your pasta sauce recipe looks great. I'll try it. I married into an Italian family and we revere pasta sauce.

But I'm writing to tell you I've got a post up on my blog about Bryan Zupon. Tomorrow I'll have his recipes up. I thought you'd like to know since you were at the Z Kitchen, too. We had the same menu to eat.

Prospero's Kitchen

Anonymous said...

Well thats a good start and especially since it's been cool these past few days! I tried to go to Bryon Z' website to possibly be a guest at his apartment but the site was down.