Monday, March 24, 2008

Comfort food: spaghetti and meat sauce

I fixed spaghetti and meat sauce and garlic bread for dinner over the weekend. I was in need of comfort food. I made a yummy meat sauce that is very easy. You could use 1/2 lb of ground veal and 1/2 lb of ground sirloin or maybe pork or a combination of the three. It might be good with some dried basil in the sauce too.

Meat sauce:

olive oil
1 1lb ground sirloin
1/4 lb pancetta chopped
1/2lb sweet Italian sausage
1/2lb hot Italian sausage
8 cloves of garlic
1/2t or so of dried oregano
1 can of crushed tomatoes
2 chopped onions
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 c. red wine
1 to 2 c. beef stock
1/2c. flat leaf parsley chopped
Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Brown meats in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrot to skillet. If there is not enough fat to cook the veggies, add a bit of olive oil. Cook until the veggies are softened. Add wine to deglaze pan and cook until alcohol burns off (a few minutes). Add tomatoes. Add 1 c. stock. Cook for 15 minutes and add more stock if it needed. Remove from heat. Add parsley and season to taste. Serve over pasta and with Parmesan cheese.


The Kitchen said...

Your pasta sauce recipe looks great. I'll try it. I married into an Italian family and we revere pasta sauce.

But I'm writing to tell you I've got a post up on my blog about Bryan Zupon. Tomorrow I'll have his recipes up. I thought you'd like to know since you were at the Z Kitchen, too. We had the same menu to eat.

Prospero's Kitchen

Matthew said...

Well thats a good start and especially since it's been cool these past few days! I tried to go to Bryon Z' website to possibly be a guest at his apartment but the site was down.