Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fresh pasta in Pittsboro

If you happen to be in the vicinity of Pittsboro, NC, around dinner time, I highly suggest a stop for take out pizza and pasta, especially the pasta, at the Neighborhood School Pizzeria on Thompson Street.

A friend of mine had raved about this place for ages. I don't live anywhere near Pittsboro but when I was driving through at 6pm on a Friday afternoon, I figured I would give the place a try. I couldn't make up my mind on what to order so I asked the owner / chef what she recommended. She suggested her most popular pasta dish -- chicken bianco.

It is a take out place, but I found a place inside to sit and watch the activity in the kitchen while I waited. While I sat there, the young girl cooking pulled a chicken escalope out of the fridge, dipped in egg and fried it in a stick of butter while I watched. She poured in a very healthy dose of brandy and added cream. While that buttery loveliness simmered, she took two lumps of fresh, pasta dough and passed them through the pasta machine turning them into thin yellow ribbons. She put them in a pot of boiling water and in no time the pasta was ready and so was the chicken. She put the pasta in a to go box and poured the chicken and sauce over it.

I could not drive myself home fast enough! After a torturous 30 minute drive, I raced into my house, put my dinner on a plate, and poured a glass of white wine.

Ahhhh heaven! The delicate, creamy flavors of butter, cream, brandy and egg melted in my mouth. It was heart-stoppingly good...and fattening. I ate half for dinner and saved the other half for my lunch.

I can't wait to go back! The owner also makes big trays of lasagna to order. One day when I need to feed a crowd I will order a couple. The pizza looked very tasty too. Maybe I'll drive out there this weekend!

3 comments:

Hermosa Beadworks said...

Well I have known Donna Bianco and her abilities in the kitchen for many years and I wish I were closer, I am in CA, Hermosa Beach. If ever I am there she always outdoes herself and I love everything she cooks.

patlinda said...

Well, we moved from Illinois to Pittsboro, NC and discoved this wonderful Italian restaurant. Donna is a fantastic cook. Her lasagna is the best we've ever hed. Don't let the unassuming outside fool you. It is all about the food.

Anonymous said...

ONS Pizzeria is a must-stop if you are ever passing through Pittsboro. I hear the Pumkin Tortillini will be on the menu again soon, too! Heaven in every bite....