Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Big Apple

I love New York. I can never decide if I like Paris or NYC better. I will go out on a limb and say the food is more interesting in New York. At least it is more diverse. Paris excels at, this is no shocker, French cuisine and French wine. New York excels at everything else.

I was there for a meeting and not for dining, alas. My favorite place to stay, that does not break the bank, is the Hudson Hotel. It is just off of Columbus Circle. The cabbie from the airport asked me why I liked to stay there. It struck me as an odd question. I like the design of the Hudson. Entering the building is like entering a space ship. At the top of the escalator, is a huge crystal chandelier with pictures of light bulbs attached to it and the walls are covered in ivy. It's kind of weird, but warm and inviting nonetheless. The Hudson Bar exemplifies cool design as well. It's like Louis Quatorze meets Philippe Starck. And you cannot beat it for people watching. Someone told me it was regularly featured on Sex in the City. I don't know about that because I never got past season 3 (gasp!). Anyway, the rooms at the Hudson are tiny but also very stylish. The wall between the bedroom and the bathroom is transparent glass. There is a sheer curtain divider between the two. Kind of sexy if you like to watch your sweetie shower. Of course I'm always at the Hudson by myself. Hmmm. Maybe I need to fix that. Now about the food...

Fortunately I had time to eat dinner w/ my friends at Sushi Yasuda. We each ordered the 12 piece special which allowed us to choose 12 pieces of sushi and a roll from the specials menu. I ate things I've never seen on other menus like pompano and trout. I could be wrong, but I do not recall seeing rainbow trout on sushi menus before. There were at least two kinds of sea bass. My all time favorite sushi is freshwater eel. I love that stuff, but it is hard to find outstanding examples of it. Not only did this place have wonderful unagi but they also had two kinds of sea eel, one dark and one white. I liked the dark one better. It was more substantial in flavor and similar to the freshwater eel but perhaps lighter in texture and flavor. The tuna was easily the best piece of tuna I've ever put in my mouth. It was as tender as butter and it melted on my tongue. The entire meal felt like a discovery.

Yasuda turned out to be my only dining experience. I planned to eat at Carnegie Deli for lunch but my meeting ran long and I had to catch a cab back to LaGuardia. Next time, I will definitely have that giant corned beef sandwich. Now there is something you don't really find down here in Dixie...a really fine Reuben sandwich! If you know of one, let me know.

6 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Coincidentally: one of my friends just praised the reuben at Kenny's in Raleigh at Brier Creek. Then again, she isn't a very adventurous eater, so take that with a grain of non-kosher salt.

Speaking of kosher -- do you go to Sabras, the Israeli grocery by City Beverage? I haven't been, so I don't know what they have.

Shame on me for not going.

You should go and write about it :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm a long-time lurker, first-time commenter...

I love a good reuben but I can't claim to be an expert. So take it with a grain of salt when I say I like the reuben at Elmo's.

Barry said...

The Carnegie is just so, i don't know, overpriced? I can see the Miller High Life driver wheeling cases of beer out the door muttering "$22.50 for a corned beef sandwich," under his breath as he slams the door behind him.

Although they don't have Reubens on the everyday menu, Veselka's was always my favorite spot for lunch in the city. Its on 2nd Ave at 9th street.

Last Friday, Reubens were on the daily special menu, at around 10 bucks.

thingsineverthoughtidsay said...

My husband and I ate at Sushi Yasuda Christmas Eve 2004 and I still remember the meal like it was yesterday. We ate so many varietites of the most amazing fish and small dishes (including flash fried vertabrea that were like a strange version of potato chips) that I sometimes dream of that meal. (It was the same trip where we stayed at the Hudson Hotel. You should get out of my mind!)

Anonymous said...

There are at least 4 - 5 recommended NY Old Style Delis and at least one of them is a Kosher Deli (meaning everything is kosher).

Carnegie, Stage, Katz's (When Harry Met Sally), 2nd Ave Deli (now at 3rd and 33rd), and maybe Sarge's is still recommended. I love NY too because you have so many Italian bakeries :-p Plus, some big named French places like Alain Ducasse.

K said...

Love Katz's Deli. I need to go back to the Big Apple.