Thursday, June 28, 2007

Paris dining: Le Vieux Bistro

I found a darling little bistro on the Ile de la Cite on the rue du Cloitre which runs along southern side of the cathedral Notre Dame (left if you are facing it). According to my sources, including Zagat's, this little place is a gem amidst overpriced, average, touristy cafes. They specialize in cuisine from the region of Burgundy.

The place is small, lined with mirrors and long wooden tables with benches. In the 17th century it was the house of one of the priests at the cathedral.

At Le Vieux Bistro, one friend and I ordered escargots. This was the first time I'd tried them. They were wonderful. The taste and texture remind me of mushrooms. They were served in the typical fashion: by the dozen in a ceramic dish swimming in melted butter with garlic and parsley.

My mother ordered frogs legs. She nearly licked her plate so they must've been good. They were cooked in a tomato, lemon and butter sauce. Rich and delicious!

My dad and our friends ordered huge salads with goat cheese croutons. The lettuce was baby greens mixed with frisee (curly endive). The goat cheese was strong and creamy, perfectly browned atop crusty slices of bread.

For drinks we ordered white wine from the Loire. It was perfect!

The waitress was delighted that I was taking pictures of the food. She actually thanked me for it!

No comments: