Saturday, June 9, 2007

Spanish torilla: muy bueno!

I surveyed my kitchen and pondered what to make for lunch. I had four potatoes that I bought at the farmers' market last week that really needed to be eaten before they start growing eyes. A friend of mine who doesn't cook much (because her loser ex didn't like her cooking...idiot man!) told me that she has been fixing Spanish tortillas quite often for her kids.

Inspired my friend and my potatoes, I endeavored to make one with recollections of wonderful tortillas served as tapas in when I was in Madrid with my best friend from college.

The Spanish tortilla is nothing like a Mexican tortilla. In fact, they are not even closely related except in terminology. The Spanish version resembles an omelet but even that does not do it descriptive justice. It is layers of onion and potato, well seasoned, cooked with beaten eggs. It is a one dish wonder that combines a starch and protein and only requires a salad and a glass of wine to make it dinner.

Recipe:
A lot of olive oil (maybe 1 c.)
4 medium potatoes thinly sliced (why bother to peel them?)
1 large onion thinly sliced
4 eggs beaten
Salt and pepper to taste

Put oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, layer the potatoes and onions. Season to your taste. Cook gently until the onions and potatoes are tender. Maybe 10 minutes or so but do not let them get overly brown. Pour eggs over onions and potatoes. Stir and flatten with a spatula. Cook gently until the eggs and potatoes start to brown on the bottom. You'll have to look because I wasn't timing it. It is less than 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and put a plate over it to invert the tortilla onto the plate. Then slide the tortilla, brown side up, back into the skillet. Cook until this other side is brown. Then invert it onto the plate again. Let it cool for 2 minutes and then slice it into triangles as if it were a pie. You can cut it immediately but it holds together better if it cools.

You can serve it warm but you can also serve it room temperature.

No comments: