Monday, September 3, 2007

The best hamburgers

I'm in Kansas City for Labor Day visiting my family. That is Kansas City, Missouri, not Kansas. When someone says Kansas City they usually mean Missouri. There is a place called Kansas City, Kansas but is a fairly small and seedy part of the Greater KC area. The Chiefs are in KC, Missouri. The KC Royals are in KC, Missouri. The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art is in Kansas City, Missouri. The KC Ballet is in KC, Missouri. I am from Kansas City, MISSOURI. I know this is hard for people to who aren't from here to grasp because, well, Oklahoma City is in Oklahoma, and New York City is in New York. But people, please try to get this right. Please.

So about the food. My family members are good cooks. I enjoy being their sous chef for a few days. Today we grilled hamburgers and they were delicious. My sister in law found a recipe for burgers with cheddar and bacon in Cooks' Country which is another publication from the clever Cooks' Illustrated people.

All-American Burgers:
1 1/2 lb. 85% lean ground chuck
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
8 strips of bacon cooked and chopped fine
4 t. yellow mustard
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t.pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl mixing with your hands until well combined. Divide the mixture into 4 or 5 equal portions and lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties. Cook on a hot grill. Sear on each side a couple of minutes then let the burgers cook for another 8 or 10 minutes until done. Do not press them down onto the grill or they will fall apart and you'll have cheese and bacon on fire in the bottom of your grill.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I used to think I had it rough for being from Asheville, NC.

People would ask, "where did you grow up?" I'd say, "in Asheville". And they'd say, "Nashville?". And I'd have to say, "No, Aaashville. North Carolina."

But KC folks, dang. That's something terrible to deal with.

FYI, I've been to your town. Enjoyed it. Went to some restaurant where they say "we choke our own chickens" and enjoyed a Chiefs game.

McJoe said...

Nice blog-- been reading for a while now. My wife is from KC MO and I lived there for eight years. We live in durham now. We've been fighting the KCMO vs. KCK thing ever since we moved out of the midwest. I don't know how many times I've been introduced as being from Kansas and it makes me nearly violent every time. The problem is, when you explain the difference to people, they just can't understand the emotional reaction the mix up evokes. Oh well.

Thanks for posting on this and tell the guys at Arthur Bryant's I said hey.

Anonymous said...

Now imagine if you were from Colorado City! Would that be Colorado, Texas, or Arizona? I was born in KC, Kansas and love trying to explain the whole thing about Kansas and Missouri to people; but my version is a bit different than yours, apparently. :-)
bj

Anonymous said...

I have been a fan of the Hamburger from childhood and have become quite interested in the hundreds of variations that can come from such a simple recipe. The latest recipe that I’ve started tinkering with is as follows:

Hamburger Recipe #410

1 lb of 85% ground round
1 lb of ground lamb
½ package of fresh spinach (stems removed minced julienne style)
3 green onions (white part removed and reserved)
1 egg
5 – 6 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
2-4 cloves garlic minced
½ t wasabi
Large pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Combine all ingredients. Spread a sheet of wax paper and place a ball of the hamburger mixture in the center (size is up to you) add a second layer of wax paper and with the palm of your hand give the ball a good smack maybe a few more if you wish to flatten into a ¼ to ½ inch thick disk. Remove and do the same for as many burgers you need.

Now for those reserved scallion parts: snip off the root ends and place on a cocktail pick and mix with sliced pickled okra and serve in a well chilled Martini.

Place your burgers on a medium flame and set your timer for 5 minutes and DON’T touch the burgers until your 5 minutes are up. Flip for 5 more minutes and serve on your favorite hamburger bun with all the trimmings.

Enjoy - Bob.

Stew said...

So. I'm in search of the bestest inexpensive burger in Durham. Cheaper than Tyler's, for example, but tastier than Cook Out. Joe's blog led me here. Any suggestions?

p.s. Phil up there is a friend of mine, too.

Oh, HI! Nice to meet you. I love food.

Anonymous said...

cool blog. I was born in Independence, but was raised in KCMO. I have taught in the seedy KCKs for 31 years although I don't live there.
I love a good hamburger. Did you live here long enough to go to the "Fleamarket"? or better yet..."Little Angus"? L.A is my favorite burger place of all time...great as a little dive in a gas station and waiting in the 5 seat diner waiting for a sack o'burgers...watching the poor, sweaty grill guy cook the burgs...
I digress. great burgers.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but Little Angus is no more. Been gone over a decade. The trolley bridge it was almost under is gone as well.

Right now the best burger in KC metro is probably Grandstand Burgers on the corner of Merriam Drive and Antioch. Now, which city is it in? Merriam? Shawnee? KCK? Doesn't really matter I guess, the burgers rock.