Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Easy Thai shrimp

I am up to my eyeballs in seafood now, but this is a great problem to have! Besides the trove I brought back myself, my friends brought me a pound of massive shrimp from Ocracoke. They also picked up a couple of nice tomatoes from Johnston County on his way back. Now that's friendship for you!

Another friend is coming over for dinner on Thursday and I was thinking of making crab cakes, but now I've decided to make this easy Thai shrimp recipe. I had it a couple of weeks ago and I was very astonished at the simplicity of the recipe. The shrimp is coated in cornstarch and then fried. This puts a light, crispy coating on the shrimp that is very much like tempura. It's just super! What isn't good battered and fried? Ok, Twinkies, but I digress.

I hate peeling and deveining shrimp but the good news is that I have plans for the shrimp shells: shrimp butter. I will probably have to freeze them though because I do not have time to deal w/ the elaborate process of shrimp butter right now.

Thai Shrimp with Jasmine Rice:
4 xl shrimp per person (I could eat 10)
1 cup cooked jasmine rice per person (buy at HT or WholeFoods)
Cornstarch to coat shrimp
Oil to sauté shrimp (I'd do canola or vegetable oil but not olive)

Thai Sauce:
Depending on the heat you like:
Appox. 1 cup Mayo, 1/4 cup honey
1/8 - 1/4 cup Hot Garlic Sauce (a red, Korean sauce available at HT or Target)

Clean, devein shrimp. Toss in cornstarch and sauté in hot oil until pink and firmish. Place on top of rice and drizzle (or guzzle in a corner somewhere by yourself the whole container!) sauce on top.

No comments: