Saturday, September 1, 2007

Easy hors d'oeuvres

Hors d'oeuvres are my favorite part of the meal...or pre-meal. I am crazy about tiny morsels concentrated with delicious, rich flavors. I could make a meal of them, oh wait, that's tapas! No wonder I love tapas. The French also call them amuses bouches which I find lovely: mouth amusements, literally. Hors d'oeuvres really should require only a napkin and the fingers. No silverware or we've strayed into the area of starter course.

Here are two recipes for ones I ate tonight at a cocktail party made by a friend who is a genius:

Bacon crackers: (these go flying off the plate)
Townhouse or club crackers
Grated parmesan cheese (like w/ a rasp or the small holes on a box grater) Bacon(I always get Hormel Black Label because it won a blind taste test for supermarket bacon in Cooks' Illustrated)

Put the crackers on a cookie sheet. Top each one with a sprinkling of grated parmesan (eyeball it, this is not an exact science). Then wrap each cracker with a piece of bacon. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 or 20 minutes depending on how done you like your bacon.

Cheese parcels:
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
2 small cans of mushrooms (yes, canned mushrooms), drained and chopped up
4 oz or so of crumbled blue cheese or other cheese
1 can of crescent rolls

Combine the cheeses and the chopped mushrooms. Unroll the crescent rolls. Cut 4 smaller triangles out of each crescent roll. Top each triangle with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture. Fold the crescent roll dough around the filling. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

leandra said...

these both sound delicious... I'll have to try them out! :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly -OMG! I found this site and bookmarked but not knowing it was YOU! I was reading your post thinking "Hey...I like those recipes too! Hey..I made those recipes just last week!" I'm thrilled you liked them and we should get together for more food fun!
Holley

ps Stuart has a recipe file we should go through. I got her fruit dip from last night and my family hooovered it down in seconds:
1 large cream cheese softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
DELISH but oh so deadly!