Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Crab and grapefruit salad

Here is a recipe very healthy and refreshing salad for spring:

1. Peel a grapefruit and put 4 or 5 sections on a plate
2. Arrange a mound of cooked, lump crab meat on the plate w/ the grapefruit
3. Dice half an avocado and sprinkle over crab
4. Make a vineagrette of 1/4 c. olive oil plus 1/2 t. lemon juice and 1/2 t. lime juice and drizzle it over the crab, avocado, grapefruit
5. Sprinkle with snipped chives and salt and pepper

On a hot day, this requires no cooking and it takes about 3 minutes to prepare start to finish. I would have never put a grapefruit w/ crab meat but it tastes great! The original recipe I saw had orange juice added to the dressing and had asparagus instead of avocado in the salad. I'm sure that would be great too. I love asparagus but I love avocado even more. And I never keep OJ around. Empty calories. Peel and orange instead...or a grapefruit.

No comments: