Saturday, April 21, 2007

Piazza Italia: new Durham restaurant

Piazza Italian opened in Brightleaf Square recently in the old Millenium Music space. A friend took me there for my birthday a few days ago.

The space is rather barn-like but they have done a decent job in making it feel warm and inviting. The exposed beams and brick lend the place some charm. The chairs are the most comfortable dining chairs! I could almost imagine sitting there for a very long evening meal. ALMOST. Unfortunately, the food wasn't that great. I had veal parmesan with a side of fettucine alfredo. My friend had chicken parmesan with a side of spaghetti with tomato sauce. We both thought the meat was overly breaded and too dry. My veal was tough. This is the second time my friend ate there. Last time he ordered the lasagna. He recommends the lasagna over the chicken parmesan.

Maybe I will give this place one more try to see how they execute on the lasagna.

The highlight of our meal, besides the comfy chairs, was dessert. We orderd rum raisin gelato. It was great: smooth, creamy, rich! The cafe at the front of the restaurant sells a huge variety of gelato. It will be worth stopping by for a gelato when the weather warms up.

No comments: