Sunday, March 4, 2007

Frozen crab legs

Very hungry people discovered that crab and lobster are edible. It is not intuitively obvious to the casual observer that these creatures make a tasty meal. In fact, when you see these creatures on a reef, they look rather frightening. And I assure you that the last thing human reason would permit is for one to reach out and grasp one of these ferocious beasts with giant claws that could result in the loss of digits.

I bet these early folk learned very quickly that their best bet against starvation was to create traps.

Is it bad that whenever I have seen a crab on a dive that I think ,"MMM! That would taste good w/ some butter and lemon"?

Fortunately, I am saved from having to risk loss of digits by Harris Teeter. From time to time I have seen large bags of frozen crab legs in the HT fish section. I finally decided to give them a try. I hesitated at first because if they tasted horrible then I would be out $20 and substantial freezer space.

Happily, I can report that the frozen crab legs turned out great! I steamed two clusters for 5 minutes. Since I had the steamer going, I put some frozen broccoli in the top steamer rack. Fastest dinner on earth! Melt some butter, squeeze some lemon juice in it, and get cracking on the crab legs! MMMM!

No comments: