Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Comfort food: variation on grilled cheese

When I was sick as a child, my mother always made me grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. We used to dip our cheesy sandwiches into the soup like a bunch of ill-mannered hooligans. Sick people and children surely get special dispensation regarding manners, especially in the privacy of one's home.

Well, here I am sick w/ a cold. My throat hurts from my ears to my collar bone. I've been asleep for two days and have been forcing myself to get up and eat, which isn't fun when swallowing feels like razor blades.

Anyway, I made some tomato soup to soothe my throat and I improvised a grilled cheese sandwich from what I could find in the kitchen: 2 slices of frozen whole wheat bread, olive oil, spinach and a ball of mozarella.

I brushed the bread on one side w/ olive oil and toasted under the broiler until it was no longer frozen. Then I took it out and brushed the other side w/ olive oil, put some torn spinach leaves on the bread and then topped each piece of bread w/ two slices of mozarella. I put it back under the broiler until the cheese melted. Then I placed the open-faced sandwiches on a plate, sprinkled w/ salt and pepper and drizzled w/ more olive oil. MMMM!

It was good, comforting and I managed to slip some leafy greens into my lunch.

Unfortnately I am now tired from all of that activity so I'm going back to bed for yet another nap!

No comments: