Sunday, May 13, 2007

Pasta Raphael: great for vegetarians

This is one of my favorite recipes. I've not made it in a while because I had a boyfriend who didn't like artichokes! That should have been a sign.

It reminds me of two good friends every time I make it. For me, cooking has a lot to do with memories. There are dishes that remind me of occasions I've spent with certain people. This recipe is loaded with memories!

It comes courtesy of The New Basics Cookbook by Julie Rosso and Sheila Lukins:

Pasta Sauce Raphael

2 jars (6 oz. Each) marinated artichoke hearts in oil
¼ c. olive oil
2 c. chopped onions
2 T. minced garlic
½ t. dried oregano
½ t. dried basil
1 T. coarsely ground black pepper
½ t. salt
pinch of dried red pepper flakes
2 can plum tomatoes w/ their juices
¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ c. chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf parsley)

  1. Drain artichokes and reserve marinade
  2. Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add onions, garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper, pepper flakes, and marinade. Saute over medium heat until onions and garlic are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes
  4. Add artichokes, Parmesan and parsley. Stir gently and simmer 5 minutes.

*the black pepper and pepper flakes make it very spicy; adjust according to taste.

Serves 6, enough for 1 lb of pasta.

No comments: